id Software is consolidating its games on Steam to improve the shopping experience.
The news comes from a blog post on Steam that details how its library of games is simplified under specific titles from August 10.
“Spanning multiple decades, id Software’s working library is as vast as it is full of great games,” the post reads.
“However, this means that a number of offers from IDs have been released or repeated in ways that can make our digital storefronts a touch… confusing. Instead of writing the differences between Final Doom, Ultimate Doom and just Doom, we consolidate our Steam library of titles!”
So what exactly does this mean?
Take Doom 2 for example. Currently there are four different versions of the game available: Doom 2, Doom 2 (Enhanced), Master Levels for Doom 2, and Final Doom.
With the change, all versions will be available under one Doom 2 installation package and can still be launched separately.
The same goes for Doom (with Ultimate Doom being renamed Doom (1993)), Doom 3, Quake 2, and Quake 3 Arena.
Plus, with Doom 3, players who own Doom 3 or Doom 3: BFG Edition will be upgraded to the Doom 3 Consolidated Pack (which includes Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil) for free.
This also affects bundles on Steam that include any of these titles. Players who already own certain titles from each bundle can complete it with remaining games at a discount.
As a result of this change, a number of games will be removed, but will remain in installed library lists, as noted in the blog post:
- Quake 2 Demo
- Quake 3 Arena Demo
- Quake 3 Team Arena Demo
- Quake 3 Team Arena (This will be included with Quake 3 Arena)
- Final Doom (This will install with Doom 2)
- Master Levels for Doom 2 (This will install with Doom 2)
- Quake 2 Mission Pack: The Reckoning (This will be added to the Quake 2 launcher.)
- Quake 2 Mission Pack: Ground Zero (This will be added to the Quake 2 launcher.)
- Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil (This will install with Doom 3.)
- Doom 3: BFG Edition (This will install with Doom 3. Players who have Doom 3: BFG will be upgraded to Doom 3.)
- Doom Classic Complete Bundle (This will be replaced by the Doom Classic Bundle.)
#Software #consolidating #Steam #games #reduce #confusion #Eurogamernet